Monday, May 9, 2011

KCWC Day 1: Pants into shorts

I know turning pants into shorts seems like a really easy task, but I think it's something I take for granted.  Not everyone knows how to do it.  So, since today was mothers day and full of gardening activities I decided to start with something easy.   Peanut has an old pair of pants that still fit in the waist, but they are too short and the bottoms are tattered.  Solution? Shorts!  One pretty easy hem and she has something she can wear all summer!  So, here's how to do it if you are new to sewing.




The first thing I did was take a pair of shorts and used them as a guide as to where I wanted to hem my pants.


Using my shorts as a guide I drew lines on the pants where I wanted the hem to be and then an inch below to fold under.


Cut the pants on the bottom line


Fold the ends in 1/2" twice so the unfinished edges are on the inside.  The top line you drew should be right on the bottom edge now.  Pin around and repeat for the 2nd leg.


Sew a 1/4 inch seam around the bottom of each pant leg.  Trim the threads.


Voila!  Now you have a pair of shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment