Wednesday, May 4, 2011

French Onion Soup (updated and modified)

Yesterday when I made the grocery list my computer was unavailable.  For those of you who don't know, I keep all my recipes in a document on my computer.  I have it in Dropbox (if you don't know what Dropbox is you need to find out) so I can see it on my phone, but it's not the most convenient thing. To make an already long story short, I forgot to buy the beef broth for the french onion soup planned for tonight.  Hence my "make it work" moment.  (I love Tim Gunn!)



Ingredients:
5 beef bouillon cubes
4 cups of water
1 small bottle of white wine (these things are amazing to cook with. So convenient!)
3 Yellow onions
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter
French bread
1/4 lb swiss cheese

Turn the crock pot on high and put the butter in.  I cut my butter into smaller pieces to make it melt faster.  While the butter is heating up, peal and slice your onions into rings. Also, put the water in a pot and bring to a boil for your broth.  Once the water is boiling, remove from heat and add bouillon cubes.  Stir until cubes are disolved.  Once the butter is melted separate the onion rings and put them into the crock pot; stir to coat.  Once the onions are coated add all the other ingredients; stir. Cover and cook 8 hours on high (10 hours on low).  

Preheat oven to broil.  Slice your bread.  If your crock pot has a removable insert then you can just use your crock pot.  If not, put the soup into either individual bowls or an oven safe casserole dish.  Place your bread slices on top of the soup and top with the cheese.  Put in the broiler until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.


This soup drove me crazy all day! The smell filled the house. I kept telling Papa B that he needed to come home so we could eat dinner. 

* This is a modified version of the recipe found on Crockpot 365.

No comments:

Post a Comment