Monday, May 23, 2011

Bucket Potatoes: Day 1

Spring has finally sprung here in South East Michigan.  We have finally passed the danger of frost and so for the past week or so I've been working in the garden every day.  I've planted tomatoes, pepper, peas, squash, cucumbers, pumpkins, beans, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, and broccoli.   Today I put in the herbs (12 kinds!) and started the potatoes.  I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to gardening, but I've heard that potatoes are easy.  After doing some research I decided the best method that worked for me was growing them in a bucket.  This is how I set it up.  Check back later for updates on whether or not it works.


I used a bag of potting mix (8.99), 2 yukon gold potato seeders (.39 each) and a 7 gallon bucket from the hardware store (4.99).


First I put a couple inches of potting soil in the bottom of my bucket.


Then I put my potato seeders with the chits facing up in the bottom.  If you don't know about chitting (I didn't) I suggest you google it like I did.  It's easy!


Next I put just enough potting mix in to cover them up.  Then I watered a whole bunch.  Now I wait to see little potato plants popping through!

No comments:

Post a Comment