Sunday, August 21, 2011

Wagon Messenger bag

We got a fantastic new wagon for the girls.  It's the Radio Flyer Deluxe Red Wagon.  It's almost exactly the same as Ultimate Family Wagon, but it has smaller wheels and is sold only at Walmart.  I really don't like shopping at Walmart, but they had it in stock and it was a little bit cheaper than ordering the Ultimate online.  It has 2 seats that move into 5 different positions, and a removable canopy.  I joked with my friend the other day that it has more cup holders than her car.  Anyway, the wagon is awesome and it seems to be working really well for us, but it was lacking in cargo room.  It does have a storage area, which works great, but it's not enough.  We found the storage area works best as a cooler.  We stick our lunches and/or snacks in it with some ice and it manages to stay cool really well.

 Anyway, there's this great little grove on the end of the wagon opposite the handle that looked perfect for wrapping a strap around.  Now, Radio flyer does make a bag to fit on this end, but its a cool (or not so cool) $40.  I certainly don't have $40 to buy a bag for my $100 wagon.  Just not in the budget when we've got leaky faucets and a fussy light in the kitchen.  So, I decided to make my own.  I pictured a messenger bag with a nylon strap to hang on that end part.  So, after some running around at Joann's, some sketching, and a lot of mental sewing this is what I came up with:


I also found a great temporary home for my flower!

So, it's not a perfect fit.  The bag isn't very deep.  But, it held all the essential diaper bag stuff and the dry snacks perfectly.  This is definitely awesome as a first try and next I'm going to see about making an insulated one to act as a cooler.   I'm really happy with it and I think I just found a great way to let Peanut decorate the front.  Here's a side shot:


It's only about 3 1/2" deep.


Here you can see the strap that attaches it to the wagon.  I made the strap really long and adjustable so that we can lengthen it and use it as a shoulder bag.  That came in really handy today when we went out to eat on our way home.  I was just able to loosen the strap and take the bag in with us.  So, the project cost about $5 and 3 hours time.  Definitely better than $40 and waiting for it to come in the mail.  I can tell I'm getting tired.  I just typed in "male" twice before spelling it right.  Good night!


1 comment:

  1. if I make this for my son I am afraid he will not draw between the lines...

    ReplyDelete