Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chicken Fricasee (shortcut version)


Chicken Fricassee is one of Papa B's favorite childhood meals.  He tells me its a secret family recipe, but I don't see any secret ingredients.  I love to make it on cold winter days.  However, when you're trying to use up leftovers and want to use what's on hand, it works any time of year.   Normally I boil the chicken and veggies together, but today I did the shortcut version with the leftover chicken from the Maple Glazed Roast Chicken.

Chicken Fricasee
3 cups roasted chicken cut into pieces
3 stalks celery
1 1/2 cups baby carrots
1 yellow onion
2 cups white rice
32 oz chicken broth
2 tbsp parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Cut up the chicken and veggies into bite size pieces.  Put into a big pot along with the broth, parsley, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer.  Once you get everything into the pot start the rice.  I make my rice by putting 2 cups rice in a pot with 4 cups water; bring to a boil.  Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is cooked.  By the time your rice is done all your veggies should be nice and soft.  Spoon some rice onto a plate and ladle some of the chicken mixture on top.

Like I said before, I could still taste the cinnamon from the chicken.  It made it taste a little different, but didn't take away from the new flavors of the veggies and parsley.  If you are concerned just use leftovers from a more traditionally roasted chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment