Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Jalapeno-Lime Chicken

This is the third and final orange juice recipe:

Whenever I get products and there are recipes included in the packaging, I always look.  I look for recipes in lots of places, online, in magazines, things I buy, on racks in the stores.  This recipe came out of a box of ziploc bags.  Their idea for this recipe was to make a ton of it, and then freeze the extra chicken in a ziploc bag to use later.  The actual recipe is from Taste of Home.



Ingredients
1 cup thawed orange juice concentrate (I used regular orange juice)
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup honey
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
Directions
In a 4-cup measuring cup, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour 2 cups into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, basting frequently with the reserved marinade.


This chicken was amazing.  I tasted the marinade after I mixed it together and was immediately concerned.  I told Papa B not to invite our friend over for dinner and that we should have a plan B in place.  I went ahead and made the meal, though I was very pessimistic with the outcome.  It just so happened that on this day Papa B had to stay late at work (this is a common thing) and so i was on my own.  I made the girls something else for dinner and prepared the chicken.  When I brought it in from the grill and put a bite in my mouth I was amazed.  It was delicious!  When Papa B finally did get home and get to taste it (around 8 pm) it was on the counter and room temp.  It still tasted good.  The next day he used the leftover chicken to make a grilled chicken and cheese sandwich.  That, was also good.  It had lots of flavor, but not too much bite.  Just writing about it makes me want it again.  Might have to put it on the menu next week...

P.S. - I made Mexican Bean and Rice Salad to go with it, but we've decided we don't like cold rice and bean salads.  I've given up trying different recipes for it and will be moving on to something else as a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment