Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year! (And Thanksgiving too!)

Wow! Sorry for my blatant disappearance!  I was super busy making Christmas gifts and also sad I couldn't publish most of them until after Christmas.  Fortunately, I managed to finish just 6 minutes before 12 am Christmas Morning!  So, in the upcoming days I will be posting pics of the things I made.  But for now, onto my Thanksgiving post!

Thanksgiving morning started out a little troublesome.  I was super excited to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade with the girls.  I had talked it up for days beforehand and Peanut was equally excited.  I was very disappointed to find they don't air it on NBC here because they air the local Detroit Parade.  The CBS coverage was lacking (to put it nicely).

Our friends came and the cooking went pretty well.  Until the end.  Our one recipe for stuffing calls for a broasting pan that gets started on the stove and then put into the oven.  Our friend brings over this pan for us as this is the only thing we use it for all year.    He also happens to be a big helper in the kitchen.  So, when the timer went off I grabbed a hot pad and put the pan on the stove.  He was in between the bowl and I, so I walked around him, grabbed the bowl, and went back.  That's when the huge mistake happened.  I grabbed the long handle of the pan with my bare hand.  It burned my hand pretty badly and I'm fairly certain I cursed.  I ran over to the sink and ran water on it.  I held ice in my hand the rest of the night and took a bunch of pain killers to help.  It seared my hand right in the bend and at the base of my thumb.  It made it super hard to use it.  I ended up having to put aloe on it, cover it with a gauze strip, and then wrap it to hold the gauze on.  I felt like a cripple for days.  Took 4 days to get better.  Oh, did I mention Papa B left early Black Friday and was gone for a week?  It was really hard to pick Munchkin up and generally care for them one handed.  Took until right before Christmas for it to blister and there's still some scarring.  Ok, enough about the hand injury, back to the food...and the table!!

As far as the food is concerned, we did all the same stuff we did last year.  We had mashed potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, rolls, 2 kinds of cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing, traditional stuffing, and of course, the turkey!

All my months of planning and shopping paid off!  I loved how all the plates and the runner looked with all the food and gold table cloth.   Sorry the picture isn't great, I was taking it one handed while everyone was standing around impatiently.  Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment