Monday, January 23, 2012

Brown Sugar Pork Chops with Onions

I am always almost always about saving money.  When I make a menu for the week I try to group recipes that use the same ingredients into it.  At least ingredients where I have to buy more than I will use for one recipe (think things like celery or cream).  This week I decided to do a new recipe week.  I have a bunch of new recipes I am excited about and wanted to try them.  3 of them called for orange juice, which is something we don't typically buy.  This was a good chance for me to buy some orange juice and maximize its cost.  I will share with you the recipes over the next 3 days starting with the first today.

Tonight I made Brown Sugar Pork Chops with Onions.  It came out of Better Homes and Gardens January 2012 issue.  They classified it as "Delicious on a Dollar" and say it costs less than $1 per serving. I'm not completely sure that's true, but since I had almost all the ingredients on hand, it was cheap to make.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. vegetable oil
4 boneless pork rib or loin chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions:
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.  Sprinkle chops with black pepper. Cook chops in hot oil for 6 to 8 minutes, until brown on outside and slightly pink in center, turning once halfway through cooking time.  Remove chops from skillet; cover and keep warm.

For sauce, in same skillet cook onion over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender.  Push onion aside. Remove skillet from heat; add orange juice and brown sugar.  Return to heat.  Cook and stir for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved.  Stir onions into sauce.

Spoon sauce over chops; sprinkle with crushed red pepper, if desired. Serve with steamed green beans. Makes 4 servings.


It was really good and also very easy to make.  I did serve it along with steamed green beans and parmesan noodles (Papa B's favorite).  I don't think I added the red pepper flakes, but I'm didn't omit them on purpose, I just forgot to add them.  Also, I put the pork chops back in with the sauce, turned the heat to low, and covered it to keep it warm until we were ready to eat.  It didn't dry the pork chops out at all and they were still delicious.

Stay tuned for another orange juice recipe tomorrow!

(I did try to link to the recipe on the BHG website, but you have to be a member to view it)

No comments:

Post a Comment