Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Frame Tent

Whilst chatting with a close friend one night she mentioned she was making this A-Frame Tent from Cakies as a gift for a little boy she knew.  I thought it was a really cute idea and something pretty easy to make.  I'm not sure if it was later that night or a few days later, but I mentioned to her that I was having trouble coming up with a birthday gift for her daughter.  She said her daughter was pretty excited about the tent she was making and would probably love to have one of her own.  I thought it was a good idea, and who am I to disappoint a 3 year old for her birthday?

It took me longer than expected to collect the wood pieces.  I sent my husband to Lowes one day to get other things we needed and added these to the list last minute.  He was not able to find them at Lowes.  This doesn't mean Lowes doesn't carry them.  So, if you plan on making this tent don't avoid Lowes.  It just means my husband may have had his eyes shut when looking.  A week or so later I went to home depot and found them with the help of an employee.  (I'm sure there weren't any employees available to help my husband when he was searching.)

I immediately had in my head what fabric I wanted to use.  I knew I had this old vintage sheet with a great color palate and pattern.  When I finally went though my stash and found it I was disappointed to find out it was a pair of pillowcases and not a complete sheet set or even 1 sheet.  Not "feeling" any of my other fabric, I decided to forge ahead.  I found another set of sheets that I thought coordinated well and went to work.  I ended up making a border with the beige sheet around 2 opened pillowcases.  I don't have a picture of the bag, but after making the tent and the bag I literally had a couple 1.5" by 3" pieces of the blue fabric left.


Since the wood was "hard" to find the first time I did buy enough to make one for Peanut as well.  After having this set up in my living room for about 10 minutes I've decided its going to be a gift for both girls as neither one of them wanted to get out.  I'm not sure when I'll get that done in my schedule, but it's on the list....along with about 30 other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment