Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Strawberry Bread

So, today I made strawberry bread for the first time.  It went really well and the bread is delicious.  I wanted to make strawberry preserves, but found out that I don't have the right size jars.  I hope to buy the right size jars and then get more strawberries so I can make some.  

I got this recipe from a friend who found it on allrecipes.  AllRecipes really is one of my favorite sites.  It is absolutely the first site I go to whenever I'm looking for a recipe.  The downside is the comments.  The comments are full of suggestions on how to make the recipe better and sometimes its hard to decide which ones to take and which ones not to.  I don't know if the strawberry doubling is in the comments, but it's what my friend suggested I do.  So, here is the recipe as I made it:

Strawberry Bread
Ingredients:
4 cups fresh strawberries
3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten



Preheat the oven to 350.  Then butter and flour 2 9x5 baking pans. (I think next time I will try wiping oil on them instead as I can taste the butter on the outside of the bread and don't like it)


Then wash and hull your strawberries


Take half of the strawberries and slice them


In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, bakin soda, salt and cinnamon


In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, eggs and berries


Pour the strawberry mixture into the flour mixture and mix until blended.  Pour into the baking pans

Bake at 350 for 45- 50 minutes until toothpick in center comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans then turn loaves out and cool.


I've already wrapped one loaf in a layer of plastic wrap, then a layer of foil and put in the freezer for later.  Best to do that before the first one is gone or it doesn't make it there.



Did I mention the best part of having a bunch of strawberries around is strawberry math?  What does happen if you have 5 strawberries and I eat 2?

No comments:

Post a Comment