Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Marinated Flank Steak with Mexican Corn Salad and Mashed Potatoes


Tonight I made something new.  I really need to start doing it more since i keep clipping new recipes out.  My new recipe pile is huge!  Perhaps its time for another month long new recipe extravaganza.  I did this a few years back and I got a bit wiped out.  It would probably be a good blogging adventure.  The downside is that new recipes are often not good on the budget because I buy ingredients I don't typically have or buy.    Also, I end up with recipes having out in left field ingredients I'll never use for anything else (chinese five spice, BLECH!).  Well, now I've gone off on a tangent.  Back to the matter at hand!

I received the recipe in the mail a couple weeks ago from Kroger along with some coupons.  I am always excited to find new grilling recipes.  This stuff was really good.  I love finding new marinades.  A few bites into the meal Papa B realized that the corn salad on top of the steak made both even tastier and so we spent the rest of the meal trying to get both things on the fork at the same time.  Definitely something we'll make a again.

Marinated Flank Steak
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (I used 1 tbsp ground ginger)
1 cup green onions, chopped (I used 1 tbsp onion powder)
2-2.5 lb flank steak

Mix all the ingredients together and put in a bag with the steak for 12 hours.  Drain and discard marinade.  Preheat the grill.  Grill on medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until 145 degrees (medium rare).

Mexican Corn Salad
1 can whole corn
1/4 cup red pepper, diced
1/4 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup tomato, diced
1/4 cup Red onion, diced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp Cilantro
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment