Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween Plaques

I want to start this post by mentioning Pick Your Plum.  It's a website that features fantastic one day deals on crafty items.  They feature one item per day with a steep discount.  They have limited stock each day and often sell out before the day is done.  They announce it at 9 am EST.  I'm fortunate to be up by that time every day.   It's a very dangerous website.  When you can get a crafting supply at a killer price it's very tempting, even if you have no current plans for it.  I'm not going to get into how much stuff I've gotten, but it's been quite a bit.

So, back to the craft at hand.  A few weeks ago Pick Your Plum featured a freebie!  They had a choice between a pair of decals.  You could get either "Eek!" and a spider or "Boo!" and a witches hat.  I quickly opted for the witches hat.  After a lot of tries, I finally got through and made my order!  I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but they were free!

So, a few days after I got my decals I started brainstorming.  I finally decided to make some Halloween signs for outside.  I went to Joanns my local fabric store (mine is one of the big ones) and got 2 wooden plaques.  This is what I did: (is the suspense killing you yet? Don't scroll down!!)

1) painted the edges of the plaques black. It took 2 coats
2) picked out my scrap booking paper pieces and cut them to size
3) modge podged them onto the top
4) glued on the wire to the back with hot glue
5) put the decal on
6) sprayed it to death with sealer

One of the perks to buying a big pack of fall scrap booking paper is that you end up with years worth of fall scrap booking paper.  This is going on year 4 and I still haven't used all of it!

Ok, enough suspense (It is almost Halloween, afterall).  Here are the pics of my Halloween Plaques!


Here they are next to the front door!  I'd like to add a wreath to the front of the door, but I haven't gotten there yet.  Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get that done.


Here's the Boo! sign


And the witches hat!

So, this is one of those times where hindsight is 20/20.  The decals where backed with a larger white piece of paper.  When picking out the background papers and placement of them I didn't think about the black on black part.  I think the Boo sign looks worse than the witches hat.  I think the witches hat turned out better.  Also, when cutting the paper I need to make sure they don't overlap.  The overlap is  especially apparent behind the witches hat.   Either way, I learned something new and I think overall they're pretty cool.  



No comments:

Post a Comment